Opening Day, 1922
In the early 1900’s, the founding fathers of the Muskoka Lakes Golf and Country Club (MLG&CC) searched for and inspected several properties suitable for a golf course. By 1919, the first Board of Directors was appointed and had purchased Liliwood Farms and an adjoining farm, together comprising 135 acres. Shortly thereafter, the Board retained Mr. Stanley Thompson, the designer of many of Canada’s classic golf courses. Construction began in 1920 and the course opened for play on August 26, 1922.
Over The Years
Much has evolved since opening day. Tennis, sailing, and other water sports were added to provide Members with broad participation in the Club’s activities. Dining facilities and other activity buildings have been added and enhanced during its 90-year history. In 1976, for example, a 76-acre parcel of adjacent lands was purchased to provide a state-of-the-art golf practice area and expanded tennis facilities. Substantial improvements followed on the Golf Course, including a state-of-the art irrigation system, a new multipurpose pro shop, a snack bar, change-rooms, a cart and bag storage building, and a substantial renovation to the main Clubhouse.
Originally the Club focused on the summer season, but it has since become an early May to mid-October facility, with Members taking advantage of extended programing and events for Members, their families and Guests. Of particular note has been the substantial expansion of Junior Programs across all the activities, along with younger and more active participation by the Club’s Junior Members.